Skip to main content

Everyone Should Have Cancer

I really don't wish cancer on anyone. But honestly, everyone could probably learn something from it, because as Charles Dickens wrote, it has been the best of times, the worst of times.

It's devastating news; the most devastating I've ever heard. It's difficult mentally, physically and emotionally. It puts your life and your family's life into complete upheaval and turmoil. It forces everyone to change their daily routine and you feel incredibly guilty that you've caused that. Somehow you do what you've always done (work out, get ready, drop off the kids, go to work, make dinner, pay the bills) and you wedge in doctor's appointments, blood tests, scans and insurance calls on top of it.

Then there's surgery and treatments and post ops and time off that you don't get paid for so you have to once again rework your daily life to accommodate less money, less physical ability, and on some days, less motivation, joy and desire to even be there at all.

In the thick of it, it seems impossible. You become jealous of those around you moving from task to task without the extra burden that's suddenly hit your life. You just want to go back to that life. That life that ironically once seemed like too much itself. The hamster wheel that seemed to get you nowhere. The hectic pace that you felt like you were drowning in. The life that you already vowed to change and find more balance in.

Then cancer comes along. All of a sudden, your kids' craziness seems beautiful. (Throw in half a valium and it's really beautiful! ha!) The laundry that has to be done seems like a blessing. The food you're putting in your mouth, the fact you can even put your own fork to your mouth because a day after surgery you couldn't, seems like such a fortunate part of your life. You look outside and see the sun hitting the grass, the flowers in bloom, the warmth in the air and you actually stop to soak in the wonder of it all. And you become so thankful, so humbled and so grateful to get to experience such wonder.

On your darkest days, with hundreds of people supporting you and your family right by your side (literally by your side), you still feel alone. And there's nowhere else to turn but to yourself. And it's in that moment you realize more about yourself than you've ever taken the time to realize before; and it's not all good. You realize your beauty and your flaws.

And then the lessons begin. You can either grab hold of the beauty and fix the flaws, or you can just sink deeper into a pit. I chose to learn. I chose to grow. And I chose to build my relationship with God to make it happen. Every day I prayed that I would hear the message God was trying to tell me. Every day I prayed for what I needed specifically that day; rest, strength, patience, forgiveness, whatever it may be.

Every day, in God's perfect timing, he seemed to send me a message through scripture, through friends, through conversations, through something I was reading, through life in general.

My prayers continue: help me slow down, help me put my strength in YOU, help me put my family first (truly put my family first), help me open my eyes, my ears, and my heart to the blessings before me now and those to come in the future.

I find we often make things harder and more complicated than they need to be; we worry when we shouldn't; we plan when we should hand over control. Sometimes, we say things like, "this isn't brain surgery," or, "we're not curing cancer here."

Well, guess what, when you have cancer, there are no truer words spoken. No, we are not curing cancer - I met the people who are curing cancer because they cured me.

There will never be anything that seems more burdensome, more worrisome or more anxiety ridden than cancer. But I suspect there will also be no time more beautiful in my life than the time I had cancer and I am better for it.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom, Wife, and Now... Cancer Fighter

Friday the 13 th . January 13 th , 2017. Why on earth I agreed to an appointment on Friday the 13 th is beyond me, but looking back Monday the 16 th wouldn’t have changed anything. I still would’ve heard the diagnosis no one’s ever prepared to hear: You have breast cancer. The doctor explained what kind of cancer (high grade DCIS), how big and where, and reassured me over and over, “You are not going to die.” She talked about pathology and radiology and biopsy and surgery. The tears flowed. She said again, “You are not going to die.” I told her I was too young. I told her I was a mom. I told her my babies were just 2 and 5. “You are not going to die,” she said again with her hand touching my knee, tears welling up in her own eyes. She laid out the options: lumpectomy with daily radiation for 6 weeks, mastectomy of the diseased breast or bilateral mastectomy of the diseased breast and the one cancer had not touched. She talked about my survivability rate and that any of those

Life After Losing a Boob

It's not at all how I thought it would be. After I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS breast cancer and learned that a mastectomy would be my best option, I wasn't too phased about the fact I would be losing part of what makes every woman a woman. That's because even before I was diagnosed, from the time I went in for the biopsy in fact, I had already decided if I had cancer, both of those babies were coming off. When the doctor laid out the options, I told her immediately I had already thought about it, and I wanted a bilateral mastectomy, both breasts removed. Part of what made that decision okay for me was that I was a candidate for direct implants. All of it would happen at once. There would be no 12-15 month period of time for me to go through reconstruction. The surgery would be long, but I would wake up looking like I did (minus the bruises, incisions, bandages of course) when I went in to the operating room. When the first plastic surgeon disagreed with that opt

The day I don't want .... or do I?

Tomorrow is a paradox. A day I don't want to happen. I day I do want to happen. A day I wish never had to happen. A day that has to happen. To say I have been anxiety ridden would be an understatement. I had a couple good weeks there. Work and life kept me busy and the doctor appointments had trailed off as we prepared. Then, they ramped back up. Then, work came to an end. That day was harder than I imagined; actually, I didn't imagine it and perhaps that's what made it so hard. I decided not to keep it from the staff I supervise and people I work with regularly. I decided that HIPPA may prevent folks from asking, but in the end, why would women not share this? Why would I not want someone else to hear this story? Why would I not want the opportunity to say, yeah, it's happening and you know what, it's all because I got a mammogram. I will forever advocate for that test, for as long as I live, for as long as I can share. My livelihood is telling stories, having