Skip to main content

My Head is Spinning


It's easy to explain a cancer diagnosis. It's NOT easy to explain what happens after it. The physical part is the easy part. Doctors tell you what to expect, survivors tell you what to expect, everyone seems to have a good handle on that (although, trust me, there are still things people leave out - like how cavernous your armpit will be once those lymph nodes and all that tissue is removed! I'm still struggling to find a way to shave. Can someone invent a razor with a spherical head please?).

It's not over when surgery is over, though. There's more to come. For some, it's chemo, radiation, infusions and drug therapy. For others, like me, it's reconstruction and more surgeries, recovery and rehab.


But the thing is, in between those surgeries there's this sort of
"down time." You're going on with life, trying hard not to look too long in the mirror, trying hard not to dwell on the still long road ahead, trying hard not to sink into the pit of the diagnosis all over again.

You wake up, go to work, tend to your home and family, get back in the exercise routine, go out with girlfriends, shop for clothes (finding a bra now is an absolute disaster! My drawer is full of misfits), and take family vacations.








You somehow adjust to this new you and the new hassles of living life with a foob (fake boob); like when your bra slips off and you don't even know it, or when you can't wear half your shirts because the straps of your sports bra keep showing and a sports bra is all you can wear, or you have to deal with uncomfortable nights of sleep every.single.night. because a hard piece of plastic pokes you when you roll over.

You deal. This is you now. You're moving on.

And then, the break is over. The doctor's appointments come up again, the scans, the pre-surgery prescriptions, the consults on what they hope they can do and how they hope it will work out.

And all of a sudden, you're back. You're back in the pit. You're back to diagnosis day. At least that's how it is for me. Less panicky, but my head is certainly spinning in a roller coaster of emotion. I unexpectedly started crying at my last "fill up" with the plastic surgeon. I had no idea why until a day or so later I realized I felt just like I did the first week I heard I had cancer. Anger, bitterness, sadness..... every last bit of it came back.

The new you you just adjusted to is about to be new all over again; but still not you.

Another surgery. Another recovery. Another rehabilitation. Another adjustment to seeing yourself not quite as yourself. And then, a 4th surgery later this year and a tattoo next spring - before the reconstruction is truly finished. And really, it still won't be me, will it?

Sometimes, all I can see is the long road ahead. But I keep taking myself back to the advice I got in the beginning, to take it one thing at a time; one appointment, one procedure, one day. In fact, just today. And when you think about it, who really ever wants to go back? Not me. I choose every day to just move forward, even if my head is spinning.

Comments

  1. I want to share with you all on how Dr Itua saves my life with his powerful Herbal medicines, I was diagnosed of Oral/Ovarian Cancer which i suffered from for 5 years with no positive treatment until when My son came to me in the hospital when i was laying down on my dying bed waiting for god to call out my name to join him in heaven.
    My son was so excited that very day he came across Dr Itua on Blogspot, we decided to give him a try although we Americans are so scared to trust Africans but i really have no choice that time to choose life in between so we gave a try to Dr Itua Herbal medicines, god wiling he was a good man with a god gift. Dr Itua send us the herbal medicine it was three bottles. I take it for three weeks instructor and this herbal medicines heal me, cure my Oral/Ovarian Cancer completely I have been living for 9 months now with healthy life no more symptoms.
    I'm sponsoring Dr Itua in LA Advert on Cancer patent seminar which my son will be participating too and other patent Dr Itua has cured from all kind of human disease, also if you are sick from disease like,Epilepsy,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,​Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Brain cancer,Hiv,. Vaginal cancer,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,​Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    ​Esophageal cancer,​Gallbladder cancer,,Bladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,​Hodgkin lymphoma
    ​Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,​Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,​Oral cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, Stomach cancer
    ​Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis,​Vulvar cancer,Ovarian cancer,,​Sinus cancer, Here Is The Wonderful Healer Contact. Name_ Doctor Itua, Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, Phone/WhatsApp: +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom, Wife, and Now... Cancer Fighter

Friday the 13 th . January 13 th , 2017. Why on earth I agreed to an appointment on Friday the 13 th is beyond me, but looking back Monday the 16 th wouldn’t have changed anything. I still would’ve heard the diagnosis no one’s ever prepared to hear: You have breast cancer. The doctor explained what kind of cancer (high grade DCIS), how big and where, and reassured me over and over, “You are not going to die.” She talked about pathology and radiology and biopsy and surgery. The tears flowed. She said again, “You are not going to die.” I told her I was too young. I told her I was a mom. I told her my babies were just 2 and 5. “You are not going to die,” she said again with her hand touching my knee, tears welling up in her own eyes. She laid out the options: lumpectomy with daily radiation for 6 weeks, mastectomy of the diseased breast or bilateral mastectomy of the diseased breast and the one cancer had not touched. She talked about my survivability rate and that any of those

Life After Losing a Boob

It's not at all how I thought it would be. After I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS breast cancer and learned that a mastectomy would be my best option, I wasn't too phased about the fact I would be losing part of what makes every woman a woman. That's because even before I was diagnosed, from the time I went in for the biopsy in fact, I had already decided if I had cancer, both of those babies were coming off. When the doctor laid out the options, I told her immediately I had already thought about it, and I wanted a bilateral mastectomy, both breasts removed. Part of what made that decision okay for me was that I was a candidate for direct implants. All of it would happen at once. There would be no 12-15 month period of time for me to go through reconstruction. The surgery would be long, but I would wake up looking like I did (minus the bruises, incisions, bandages of course) when I went in to the operating room. When the first plastic surgeon disagreed with that opt

The day I don't want .... or do I?

Tomorrow is a paradox. A day I don't want to happen. I day I do want to happen. A day I wish never had to happen. A day that has to happen. To say I have been anxiety ridden would be an understatement. I had a couple good weeks there. Work and life kept me busy and the doctor appointments had trailed off as we prepared. Then, they ramped back up. Then, work came to an end. That day was harder than I imagined; actually, I didn't imagine it and perhaps that's what made it so hard. I decided not to keep it from the staff I supervise and people I work with regularly. I decided that HIPPA may prevent folks from asking, but in the end, why would women not share this? Why would I not want someone else to hear this story? Why would I not want the opportunity to say, yeah, it's happening and you know what, it's all because I got a mammogram. I will forever advocate for that test, for as long as I live, for as long as I can share. My livelihood is telling stories, having